On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 00:30:39 +0300
Andrew Savchenko <birc...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Oh, nice: strictly follow PMS no matter what, right? Then let me
> remind you that not so long time ago I advocated for strictly
> following PMS [1,2], which _allows_ || ( A:= B:= ) construct [3].
>
> But I was _enforced_ by QA to _violate_ PMS and remove the valid
> syntax blocks [4]. This decision was made because of $reasons:
> - we lack ||= operator;
> - || ( := ) behaviour is not implemented properly in existing PM;
> - "it doesn't make *any* sense";
> - other valid and unquestionable $reasons ...
>
> So the result is that common sense and practical considerations
> take over PMS. And what we have in the REPLACING_VERSIONS case?
> It doesn't matter that such situation never happened and will
> likely never happen, but one must follow PMS strictly no matter
> what. Such attitude is not fair at least.

No. You have simply failed to understand the reason || ( A:= B:= )
doesn't work. It may superficially appear correct, but you either need
to think carefully about the implications, or just accept wisdom from
people who have. I remind you that PMS does not explicitly prohibit a
dependency upon =A-1 =A-2 where A is not slotted, either: it's a
nonsense dependency, but syntactically valid.

Please stop trying to use your common sense in areas where you lack the
intuition and experience to have accurate common sense.

> Do we ever had such case like multiple versions of the same
> single-slotted package installed or recorded as installed in the
> real world? I'm not sure even in this, but I may assume that it may
> happen one day.

Yes, this happens with failures on uninstalls and upgrades.

> Do we have any proof that PM can recover from such situation,
> where VDB is a mess and installed files can also be a mess? I'm not
> sure in this at all.

Yes, things have been designed quite carefully to allow this to happen.
You recover by installing a new version, and using it to replace the
two installed versions simultaneously.

> Do we have any test suits for portage (as the most popular PM
> implementation) for such cases? I doubt this, I can find none. I'm
> not sure if such tests are implemented in other PM test suits too.

Portage doesn't exactly have many tests...

--
Ciaran McCreesh