Hi,

bash-4.4/readline-7.0 have been released and are available in Gentoo
already although they are still being package.masked.

This is a call for testers. If you feel brave enough, please give
bash-4.4 a shot and report all problems you might have with it.

Add the following to you package.unmask file/directory:

  =app-shells/bash-4.4*
  =sys-libs/readline-7.0*

and emerge both packages. Once readline-7.0 has been installed you
most likely need to run

  emerge -v @preserved-rebuild

in order to get all readline reverse deps being built against new
readline. Reporting those packages in our bug tracker [1] would be
helpful.
In case you encounter a real bug in bash or readline please report them
to our bug tracker [1] as well.
If you just seem to have successfully installed bash and found no
problems after a while of testing, I'd like to know about it here on the
list. This would help me determining when this bash version can be
removed from package.mask.
Perhaps we even consider stabilizing bash-4.4 a bit sooner now that
there's a security bug [2] that requires bash-4.4 for the fix.

Thanks in advance.

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org
[2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/594496
--