On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 23:56:34 +0200
Andy Mender <andymenderu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe the main problem comes from /bin/bash and potential symlinks that
> would need to be introduced as part of  the slotting.

In a pinch you could probably get away with
calling :1 /usr/bin/bash-4.4 instead of /usr/bin/bash, and then
offering no luxuries beyond that, leaving it up to the user to do the rest.

Then you could test it in ~/ with PATH + Symlink in ~/bin/ ... maybe.

There would just not be much point, because the real purpose of testing
4.4 is not for fear of it breaking user experience ( which is a
problem, but not the primary motive ),  but for making everything else
that runs with bash runs OK.

Maybe you could do some horrible QA Violation like USE=multislot
which changes the slot from :0 and adds the -suffix at the same time.

But I still don't think its a useful or good idea.