On Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:00:07 PM EDT Austin English wrote:
> On 10/15/2016 05:32 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:

> >> In my opinion yes, the following reasons at minimum
> >
> > Wouldn't it make more sense to include information on this in
> > metadata.xml rather than specifying it in the package name?
>
> Yes.

Part of the idea everyone is missing is time... It takes time to go look at
information a package metadata.xml If the package is coming in as a
dependency. Instead of just being able to visually look at the package name
and know.

This is a binary package from upstream
This is a binary package from Gentoo

Without having to do anything. Doing such via USE flag, description or other
means would require someone to stop and spend time they would not have to
otherwise.

Also if many packages are binary, having redundant text in metadata.xml does
not seem very beneficial. Very likely any text to describe such would be very
generic.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.