On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:18:51 AM EDT Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 09:32:30 -0400
>
> "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt...@o-sinc.com> wrote:
> > > You know you can make that argument about *every* useflag right? Being
> > > unable to test with one and the other co-installed?
> >
> > Did you see the comment where portage has this function now?
>
> I don't actually know what he's referring to specifically, so I
> couldn't say. My best guess is something to do with "--prefix" but not
> sure.

Don't guess or assume, both are bad.
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/
4c8ab9209699e278876dfa9f11c8f1c6

> > > What are the benefits.
> >
> > Knowing what you are getting in seconds, made by whom.
>
> Would you similarly want the name of the last gentoo developer who
> touched the ebuild in the atom? No? Why not?

That is irrelevant, is it from Upstream or Gentoo, it is a binary choice.

> > > If Upstream and Gentoo both provide binary releases, but the Gentoo
> > > one sucks, we should just abolish the Gentoo one.
> > >
> > > If Upstream and Gentoo both provide binary releases, but upstreams
> > > sucks, then we should not ship the upstream version.
> >
> > What if you simply just do not know who made the binary?
>
> Then the realisation that "not everyone cares" happens, and you go "ok,
> I care, so I have to spend effort to care".

Or you make improper assumptions. I bet many merged firefox-bin, just not
wanting to merge from source to save time. Assuming they were getting the
same, not realizing they were getting an Official binary from upstream not one
built from a Gentoo firefox package.

> Or we're going to find ourselves back debating the old "Eapi in ebuild
> filename" debate, except worse, we'd be wanting EAPI visible in the
> ATOM!

This is not a as wide scoped a EAPI, and effects a very small percentage of
ebuilds in tree.

> There's a lot of "but what if you care!??!" things, perhaps this may be
> an important one to you, but some people care a lot about LICENSE and
> some people just don't.

Yes, and some care about what repo it comes from. Which is why portage now
shows you what repo it comes from as part of merge output. This is really no
different.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.