On 01/06/2017 12:46 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Friday, January 6, 2017 9:14:54 AM EST Alec Warner wrote:
>>
>> The nice thing about ::graveyard or similar is that its a clear demarcation
>> between maintained (in tree) and unmaintained (graveyard.) It also means
>> that people doing actual maintenance work can basically ignore the
>> graveyard as a matter of policy. The ebuilds are archived there (for users)
>> but since they are unmaintained they may not work correctly.
>
> This is what the Java team used to do. There was a java-graveyard-overlay. I
> do not believe any package ever moved there came back into the tree. It did
> result in a pretty messed up overlay, but makes it a user problem.
>
> At the same time, something could always be restored from VC. Not like
> removal
> is removing all history and traces. Thus not sure such overlay is really even
> beneficial. Using it could cause lots of problems if they just care about 1
> package or a few.

There's a nice trick around that, actually: let's assume the overlay is
called "foo-overlay".

In package.mask:

    */*::foo-overlay

will mask all packages in the overlay. You can then add packages to
package.unmask:

    pkg-cat/foobar::foo-overlay

That should alleviate most issues, though it can make dependencies a
PITA if those deps are also in the overlay. In that case, emerge should
yell at you and suggest adding lines to package.unmask.

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net