On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 04:56:29PM +0000, James McMechan wrote

> Silly Notes:
> While I personally considered IA64 useless shortly after arrival,
> Intel has just (5/11/17) announced another bump in that family the
> 9700 Series.

  And it will also be the last Itanium released
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3196080/data-center/intels-itanium-once-destined-to-replace-x86-in-pcs-hits-end-of-line.html

  The contract/agreement, between HPE and Intel, covers development of
Itanium through to the end of 2017.  Intel is not selling enough of them
to warrant further development.  Intel has been urging Itanium users to
migrate to high-end Xeons.  Some features, formerly available from Intel
only on Itanium, have started showing up on high-end Xeons.

  An interesting, somewhat cynical, post on Slashdot...
https://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10604939&cid=54412501
suggests that Intel came up with a radically different design for
Itanium, versus x86, specifically to avoid a cross-licencing agreement
that allows AMD to clone Intel x86 and x86_64 cpus.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>