On Fri, 19 May 2017 19:27:15 +0200
Kristian Fiskerstrand <k...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> As far as I can see you were never the maintainer of at least
> app-misc/elasticsearch (I didn't check other possibly related
> packages), it was first proxied maintained through chainsaw, then
> later through proxy-maintainers herd (since 2015) which was converted
> to the project once herds were deprecated. I don't notice you showing
> up in the git log (with cvs history grafted) until 2016 in a commit
> that removed proxy maint seemingly without corrabolation, and as such
> got reverted.

It probably helps better understand what's going on if you pay careful
attention, not to the name "Patrick" but to Ferenc Erki.

Given they're working side-by-side and so there's room for Patrick to
be operating in the capacity indicated by Ferenc without it necessarily
being visible in the history ( leading to confusion )

Then a few small, but important changes become apparent:

40258029bda18564b0d3e21f0644ffcd40fd4974 - 2015-06-12 ( Gentoo history )

Chainsaw adds Ferenc as a maintainer, where Chainsaw opts to be the
proxy.

20c1bcbaa6346c6e4643f50b904deaa8e9c06af2 - 2015-12-16

Idella4 adds proxy-maint with Chainsaws ack

f279fce9617b2e3ddbf3ef99df8f65629617e959 - 2015-12-16

Idella4 removes Chainsaw, assumingly part of the previous change,
moving the proxy from Chainsaw to Proxy-Maint project.

ef2b2458815ba4e4694e0d5f3bbce239505ffbc8 - 2015-12-20

Idella4's last commit on this package.

3d70356565d3213c370e1f64a85b55c3ded259f5 - 2016-01-06

Patricks first direct commit to this package.

<<a dozen version bumps by patrick here>>

e6175815b5792f09acd90627af5fe23f616ad245 - 2016-09-02

Patrick adds himself and Tomas, and removes Proxy Maint.

^^^

This last commit is, as I understand, where most this conflict comes
from.

Because to an untrained eye, in isolation looks like an antagonistic
dev just going in and changing stuff they have no right to change.

But it makes more sense to realise who the primary proxied maintainer
was at this time, who can be considered "owning" the package, and has
the right to dictate which gentoo dev's maintain their packages for
them.

And it certainly makes sense given the working relationship and the
existing commit history of contribution, that Patrick is already
functioning as a primary maintainer at this point, working under the
assumption that he just does what Ferenc wants.

Proxy-Maint are the unwanted element in this equation, but it seems to
me proxy-maint over-reacted based on not having the full picture, and
so both sides have some miscommunication and misunderstanding about
what the other is doing.

Everything *after* that commit looks like after-the-fact
edit-wars+confusion.