On czw, 2017-06-15 at 18:07 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:59:13 +0200
> Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > On śro, 2017-06-14 at 16:09 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> > > On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 15:57:38 +0200
> > > Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I'm not going to argue to death. It's already proven reordering is
> > > broken.

> > > There is nothing to do for reordering. It's broken by design.

> > > Like... writing code handling all the cases and describing how it
> > > works ? We're past that. The only thing we're not past is that you
> > > fail to understand it and attempt to block it.
> > >

> > Then please provide a single valid example that:
>
> app-text/wklej-0.2.1-r1 ^^ ( python_single_target_pypy
> python_single_target_pypy3 python_single_target_python2_7
> python_single_target_python3_4 python_single_target_python3_5
> python_single_target_python3_6 ) python_single_target_pypy?
> ( python_targets_pypy ) python_single_target_pypy3?
> ( python_targets_pypy3 ) python_single_target_python2_7?
> ( python_targets_python2_7 ) python_single_target_python3_4?
> ( python_targets_python3_4 ) python_single_target_python3_5?
> ( python_targets_python3_5 ) python_single_target_python3_6?
> ( python_targets_python3_6 ) vim? ( ^^ ( python_single_target_python2_7
> ) )
>

> Simplified as:
> ^^ ( a b ) c? ( b )
>
> (see the pattern now ? :) )
>
> > a. is completely 'correct' (that is, provides a valid, predictable
> > and acceptable solution) with the default ordering O_a,
>
> c? ( b ) ^^ ( b a )
>

> > b. is not 'correct' with at least one reordering O_b (assuming only
>
> c? ( b ) ^^ ( a b )
>

> > c. nsolve reports O_a as all good, and O_b as not good.
>
> I'll let you run this. It does.
>
> > The best way to convince me is through valid examples.
>

> It is also easier to be convinced when you try to understand and ask
> for clarifications instead of just rejecting without thinking :)

Ok, now I get your point. Not that I like it but I don't see any sane
way around it.

The question then is, how can you reliably ensure that developers will
use the same ordering in cross-relevant packages? For example, consider
the following:

  ^^ ( provider_ssl_openssl provider_ssl_libressl )

Since those providers block each other, all packages will have to have
either openssl or libressl consistently (or another provider).

The reordering idea was mostly addressing this. However, it just
occurred to me it only solved some the case when user selected both
and not the one where neither was preferred over the other.

Without reordering, I think we need to enforce the specific ordering
consistently across the tree. Any idea how to achieve that?

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny