On pon, 2017-07-10 at 17:40 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> Stop getting lost in the weeds!!!!
> You all are making this about -c vs -C. I am not talking about that!
>
> LET ME CLARIFY....
>
> When using -C, portage SHOULD warn for dependencies like it does for
> profile and set packages, PERIOD. NOTHING to do with -c vs -C.
>
> When using -c the output should say in layman's terms,
> "Not removing package A because it is a dependency"
>
> Again nothing to do with -c vs -C. So PLEASE stop with that!
>
> Two things very straightforward and simple. No clue why others keep
> making this about a use -c vs -C. That does NOT change the lack of
> warnings or information I am speaking about for BOTH!
>
> Amazing how things can be off tracked and miss the entire point. I do
> not care if you use -c or -C. BOTH lack the same warnings and
> information. That is what I am talking about.

William, I'm not sure if you're aware of how package managers work but
checking reverse dependencies of a package takes significant amount of
time. Changing -C to do that would be a serious performance regression.
Which would result in users requesting yet another option to disable
this.

I should also point out that these are Portage implementation specifics
that do not belong on this mailing list. The issues with Portage are
reported on bugs.gentoo.org, in the 'Portage Development' product. If
you have any problems with using Portage, please use the gentoo-user
mailing list or any other user-oriented media.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny