On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 20:15:07 +0200
Kristian Fiskerstrand <k...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 08/08/2017 08:10 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> >> I'm not sure explicitly about environment files, but it's an
> >> option to emerge.  For instance, I've added this to my
> >> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to ensure none of the following are built:
> >>
> >> --buildpkg-exclude "virtual/* sys-kernel/*-sources dev-perl/*
> >> perl-core/*"
> > Something like this would NOT be desirable. It would have to be
> > done on every system.
> It would have to be set on every binhost, not every client system..
> that said, I prefer env approach as it is easier to track changes
> properly in a CVS

That is assuming clients do not have FEATURES="buildpkg". I have that
set just in case I merge some package directly on a system. I have the
binary ready for others. I am trying out the env route now, but may
need some changes there.

Most are made on the binhost, but not all. Also I am not necessarily
using a binhost per se. I have portage on shared NFS. I also rsync some
binaries between NFS servers.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.