On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > As Hanno was saying, we'll have decades of warning before a break
> > becomes practical, so I don't think this is a real concern.
>
> How can we be sure of that? I guess the same reasoning was applied
> when MD5 and SHA1 hashes were used.

Yeah, and it actually did happen that way. Typically before preimage
attacks (which are what we really care about here, as far as I understand
it) happen there are several other types of attacks that will happen first,
and that will provide advance warning about the level of security provided
by SHA2.

Cheers,

Dirkjan