On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.ever...@iee.org> wrote:
> On 27/11/17 18:44, Christopher Head wrote:
>> For those of us who run mostly stable systems, there is one question I don’t
>> know a good answer to.
>>
>> If I add a specific version of a game to package.accept_keywords, I will get
>> that version forever. That’s not really what I want: I prefer to stay up to
>> date as new versions are packaged.
>>
>> If I add just a cat/pkg to p.a_k, Portage will always try to pull in the
>> latest version. If that version has some unstable dependencies which I
>> haven’t also accepted, Portage will yell at me. An example of this is
>> games-emulation/mednafen-0.9.46 depending on dev-libs/lzo-2.10, the latter
>> of which is unstable.
>>
>> What I really want to install is, “the latest version of the package that
>> doesn’t pull in any deps that aren’t available (stable or accepted),” but I
>> don’t know any way to tell Portage that. Am I missing something, or is that
>> indeed impossible?
> Sounds to me a failure in adhering to the stabilisation criterion that
> state that all deps must be stabilised FIRST .. as the bugzilla
> stable-bot will now automagically check ...

Nobody is stabilizing anything.  That is the whole reason he raised
that concern.  He wants to use ~arch versions of games, with stable
dependencies.

To answer his question, there is not any way out-of-the-box to tell
portage to install the latest ~arch version of a package that has only
stable or already-accepted dependencies.  Certainly it should be
possible to build such a feature, but it doesn't exist today.

--
Rich