On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:33:11PM +0100, Gerion Entrup wrote:
I'm a long term Gentoo user, but have read this list a few month only, so
correct me, if I'm wrong. I've seen the main usage of this list in three
aspects:
1. Review and discussion of new (technical) features (eclasses, EAPI, package
manager specs).
2. Information about unmaintained packages.
3. Input and proposals from users.

Splitting the list would reduce the meaning of gentoo-dev to the first point.
The second point has to be handled on the expert list (or both lists), so
proxy maintainers can reply. The third point can only be handled on the expert
list, but core developers have to read it, otherwise the whole point would be
meaningless.

In other projects with similar problems but the technical possibility to
moderate
some "code of conduct" was adopted, so moderators can ban users on that base
for a fixed amount of time.

Gerion

I'm normally just a lurker in this list, so the changes are unlikely to affect
me
directly, but I think Gerion hits it on the head here.

Is there such a stratification between "Gentoo Developers" (and those
'blessed' by such developers) and "Expert Gentoo Users" that justifies
silo-ing the two groups off into their own mailing lists?

If this distinction is present and vitally important, then by all means
create a separate list, but is the reduction in traffic really worth the
loss of input from your long-term, but "non developer" users?

If this is really a moderation issue, surely the bad actors will simply move
their alleged trolling to the -experts list, which will cause the core
developers to cease reading it, leading to a breakdown in the user to
developer discussions that currently take place via -dev?

--
Richard