On 12/20/2017 06:58 PM, William Hubbs wrote:

> There already is an overlay for dying packages, it is called graveyard,
> but no one is putting things there.
>
> This email conflates old dying packages with new versions, which are a
> completely separate issue.

Lack of new versions *is* dying. But I can make a package not-dying in a
few seconds by merging a PR, so long as you don't expect me to do the
(relatively high) level of QA required for ~arch.

> If a new version of a package is known to cause wide scale breakage, it
> goes in package.mask until the breakage is resolved. Otherwise, putting
> it in ~ is fine. I don't see the need for another level of keywords.

The quality of ~arch is its own worst enemy; these days, stable packages
are just old ~arch packages. Users and developers expect ~arch to work,
and we have no real policy or documentation stating that it won't. Many
people will tell you that ~arch works better than stable, because it
gets fixed faster.

The new level of keyword would avoid screwing all of those ~arch users
at once, by not suddenly murdering the quality of their tree. From the
outset, the new level of keyword would have to have a description like
"only use this if you are stupid" to fulfill its intended role.