On 12/27/2017 10:42 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> If you want to make such a base profile change, then I believe you
> should contact the maintainers and see which one wants it default
> disabled, and which default enabled; do the default enabled changes
> and only afterwards you can touch a base default USE flag

The bug is titled "base/make.defaults: unset USE=cracklib by default"
and it says,

  I'm CCing the maintainers of all affected packages. If anyone would
  like us to wait until they've set "+cracklib" in their ebuilds, please
  just file a blocker bug against this.

It's been two months, and all I asked for is a "hey, don't do it yet..."