On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 10:32 AM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> As he said, he contactedd the maintainers in ample time, so I would say
> that since they didn't respond he went ahead in good faith. I'll get the
> link later, but as I recall, the dev manual recommends a 2-4 week wait
> for maintainers not responding then we can assume that what we are doing
> is ok.

This assumes there is some pressing need for the change to take place,
which I am not sure there is. I can understand wanting to make the
change for consistency's sake, but the feature is important enough
that I think a suitable replacement should explicitly be found before
continuing. E.g. affirmative feedback from all affected packages.

Enforcement of rules or Gentoo development guidelines does not happen
consistently, and the times when rules are enforced "for consistency's
sake" seem completely arbitrary. There seems to be no extant problems
caused by the flag as set, so why focus on this specifically?

There is a lot of discussion of not burdening developers with
pointless talk or changes. If that is a goal, then why is this posting
receiving so many replies?

Respectfully,
     R0b0t1