On 01/03/2018 12:07 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> Problem:
>> New stages have numerous news items listed that are likely not
>> relevant, but are shown due to limitations in the filtering in NEWS
>> items. E.g. on a recent stage3:
>
>> [...]
>
> We could add an "Expires:" header to the news item format, and the
> package manager (or eselect news) could mask old items based on it.

Do we necessarily need to do even that? A package manager could have a
feature to mask based on other heuristics without changing the format,
e.g all messages from before X, presumably with a switch to show older.

I'm thinking along the lines of only show those published within last 12
months by default, configurable by make.conf variable.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net