On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:48 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.ever...@iee.org> wrote:

> On 10/01/18 19:31, Alec Warner wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> W dniu śro, 10.01.2018 o godzinie 09∶11 -0800, użytkownik Matt Turner
>> napisał:
>> implement

>> come into

>> is now.
>> and
>> intend this
>> against the
>> permission.

>> him/her to
>> whitelisted.

>> comment on
>> are vouching
>> activity.

>> acks
>> unlikely.

>> > If that was an effective solution, wouldn't the problem already be
>> solved?
>>
>> One of the problems mentioned before was that a person could easily
>> evade the ban via subscribing from another e-mail address. In this case
>> it's no longer possible, as he would need to obtain the vouching for his
>> new e-mail address, and for that he would first have to have something
>> positive to post.
>>
>> Of course this relies on developers not vouching for new people out of
>> the blue but expecting them to have something to contribute first.
>>

> This sounds like an amazing fundraising opportunity.
>
> https://www.gentoo.org/donate/
>
> Get membership posting privs.
>
> -A
>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Michał Górny
>>

> Do I read a hint of sarcasm there too Alec?! :]

As I (attempted badly) to explain on IRC; I don't like this decision. But
ultimately the project elects the council to do stuff like this.
As engineers I think we remain bad at making decisions that are imperfect,
or based on incomplete information. I don't
fault the council for taking action (even action I don't like) because I
believe they felt something had to be done to improve the lists.

No one should be afraid to try something because it might not work; trying
things are how we learn.

-A