So,

tldr; Github will tarball up specific commits (or master) for you to add
to SRC_URI.

I ended up using the github API to pull down a tarball of the git repo,
rather than using git to pull it down.  I suppose that offers the
ability to Manifest it and check for changes, but I now have to encode
the fixed commit into every version of the ebuild because the only
location it's recorded is in the submodule commit hash of the package's
repo.

I could have it live in the PV, but I think that'd lead to potential
version sorting errors if people try and use copies of the ebuild.
Making typeshed its own package doesn't help because it's installed
under /usr/share/mypy/typeshed, not /usr/share/typeshed so it really is
part of mypy (for now).  So I'll see how this goes and listen for
feedback...

Mike  5:)