Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/12/2018 04:29 AM, Martin Vaeth wrote:
>> This was so many many years ago in the beginning of github.
>> This has long been fixed since then.
>
> Every once in a while they still change. This is from a few weeks ago:
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=151973450514279&w=2

As mentioned, github uses "git archive" to generate the tarballs.
So - theoretically - if a new version of git should have "git archive"
implemented differently (which might happen indirectly by new versions
of tar/zlib), there  might indeed be change.

However, this is purely theoretical: I just upgrade to most current
git-2.16.2 and tar-1.30, and checked: The generated tarballs still match
with that from 2014. So I really do not know which change
"a few months ago" the above message refers to: I could not detect any
change (and I really checked a lot of packages now).

Perhaps they refer to .zip instead of .tar.gz which as mentioned is
a less stable format due to the inclusion of the timezone.