On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:48:09AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 04/26/2018 11:34 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 13:35:15 -0700
> > Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> emerge --depclean, resulting in an unbootable system. Just say-in.
> >
> > And depclean being very verbose doesn't do many favours here either.
> >
> > ( I regularly do >500 package depcleans and spotting things that aren't
> > meant to be
> >  culled amongst that list is a bit of a challenge )>
>
> At least for system packages, it will show a warning like the one shown
> here:
>
>    https://bugs.gentoo.org/642484#c0
>
> Hopefully that message helps those that are paying enough attention.
> What can we do for those that overlook the warning message, other than
> give them some rescue instructions for making their system boot again?

Another option suggested to me was to add a use flag to OpenRC that
pulls in a dependency on virtual/init instead of adding virtual/init to
@system. The suggestion originally was to add it to rdepend, but that
doesn't feel right to me since openrc really doesn't have a runtime
dependency on init, so I'm thinking something like this:

IUSE="... +separate-init"

PDEPEND="
separate-init? ( virtual/init )"

Thoughts?