On 05/08/18 18:01, Alec Warner wrote [excerpted]:

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Richard Yao <r...@gentoo.org
> <mailto:r...@gentoo.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Jun 23, 2018, at 6:59 AM, Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org
>     <mailto:anta...@gentoo.org>> wrote:
>

>>     I suspect this might be better done in the Linux foundation
>>     itself as they have staffing for core components that everyone is
>>     using.
>     This would put decision making power into the hands of
>     bureaucrats. I would rather it remain in a community of volunteers.
>

> Meh, it doesn't hurt to ask there about interest (they certainly fund
> development of other components.) Its not like they have to accept, or
> that declining somehow inhibits this development.
>
> Part of my frustration is that seemingly "anything open source related
> can be held in Gentoo" and I'm somewhat against that as I feel it
> dilutes the Gentoo mission. We are here to make a distribution, not
> maintain random libraries. If you want to do that feel free; but I
> don't see a need for that work to be associated with Gentoo.

Maintaining a distro is increasingly becoming more a case of fixing
upstream's shortcomings, as they move towards completely-bundled
packages instead of thorough testing. Creating distribution packages,
especially in a source-based distro like Gentoo, requires quite a lot of
testing, and a lot of collating user feedback (in terms of bugs) to make
sure that the packages built do actually *work*.

So no, whilst it does seem on the surface to be a dilution of effort, if
it reduces the overall effort to generate robust packages, and
distributes it across multiple distros and developers, whilst
co-ordination and communication may prove a new challenge, I think this
is complementary to what everyone is trying to achieve.

</my2cents>