On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 2018-08-21 18:23, Michał Górny wrote:
> >> Wait, are you saying that I can set USE=-test while FEATURES=test is
> >> enabled? Is that a valid combination?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> The only thing I still don't understand yet: Do we support things like that?
>
> I.e. should we add things like
>
> > if has test ${FEATURES} && ! use test ; then
> >         eerror "FEATURES=test requires USE=test."
> >         die "FEATURES=test set but not USE=test"
> > fi

You should never look at FEATURES in an ebuild; it is not defined in
PMS and is very Portage-specific.

> if a package's src_test phase requires some conditional stuff or is it
> something like "user shoot himself into the foot" so we do *not* care
> because we still assume "if FEATURES=test, USE=test is *normally* set"?

Ebuilds should be adjusted to not depend on FEATURES=test matching
USE=test. Setting RESTRICT="!test? ( test )" is generally sufficient.

> Asking from user experience point of view: Imagine a user tries to
> emerge a package which will compile multiple hours and src_test just
> fails because some conditional stuff didn't run due to USE=-test
> accidentally set by the user (in the past or was forgotten).

What user is going to set FEATURS=test and USE=-test? It's such a
silly thing to worry about.

Please stop inflating the scope of the issue.