On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:37 AM Virgil Dupras <vdup...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 10:27:01 -0400
> Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 9:23 AM Kent Fredric <ken...@gentoo.org>
> > wrote:

> > > But that would require setting that virtually *everything* that has
> > > both tests, and required dependencies for tests.
> > >
> > > Which, in my experience, is practically everything with tests.
> > >
> > > To the point it seems like that should be the *default* mechanic,
> > > not a requirement that everyone pay not to have a randomly broken
> > > package.
> >
> > If you want to define behavior that can be relied upon in ebuilds, it
> > should be specified in PMS. PMS does not define any meaning for the
> > "test" USE flag.
> >

> Which is the easiest path, updating the PMS or adding RESTRICT="!test?
> ( test )" to thousands of ebuilds? I don't see how we can realistically
> hope for every developer to cooperate in making sure that their ebuilds
> behave properly in "USE=-test" situation.

Updates to PMS happen infrequently, and generally only introduce
behavioral changes in new EAPIs.

Adding RESTRICT to ebuilds does not need to happen overnight; setting
FEATURES=test still does the right thing for most people, assuming
they haven't done something stupid like setting USE=-test in
make.conf.