On 9/10/18 11:35 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:

> I fully understand why in the general case this is considered undesirable.
>
> But in very specific cases it can make sense to err on the side of
> caution, and the rigid -Werror policy gets in the way. This is what the
> initial message by bircoph suggested.

I would argue that this depends on the upstream; some upstreams doesn't
know the downstream implications of this and are slow at responding at
issues. Others are very clear about it and this is the desired behavior;
and they actually fix it quickly when reported. There is a difference
here, and on some level that is up to maintainer privilege to evaluate
the difference.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net