On 2019-12-05 Thu 17:00, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> > > pkgcheck is mostly used by your CI checks for
> > > producing huge reports, which is nice but addresses a different
> > > problem
> > There is nothing stopping you from running pkgcheck locally.  In
> > fact,
> > it should work out of the box these days.  If you have any problems,
> > please report them and I'm sure they will be addressed promptly.

> Sure I did that to get reports like what CI does for me now but that's
> always been a different usecase; I wasn't aware pkgcheck had the
> equivalent of repoman commit

While I dislike contributing more to this off-topic tangent, since I've
fielded this question/request in IRC a few times in the past I figure I
might as well address it again here for the IRC-averse.

Personally I use pkgcheck as a QA tool and *git* (or another vcs tool)
as a commit tool, just like how I used to use repoman and cvs a long
time ago. I generally dislike when cli tools amalgamate disparate
features that they weren't designed for so no one has been able to
convince me why a tool designed to verify ebuilds and their related
repos should support commit capabilities internally.

Furthermore, pkgcheck was designed to scale towards scanning multiple
pkgs, custom restrictions, or entire repos while I assume the majority
of repoman usage is run against singular pkgs. In many cases, a
multi-pkg scan doesn't map to a single commit so that functionality
would be pretty useless in those situations.

To aid those who believe this commit functionality necessary, I've
mentioned I would support improving API access and/or configurable exit
status settings allowing for easier pkgcheck scripting or other types of
external usage.

Tim