> Like said, if an ID is already taken for any reason on user's system,
> that's not a problem. acct-* can handle that... there's nothing like a
> collision.

You can call it "collision" or something else, the fact is that in this
scenario, the acct-* package won't get its preferred ID. Which is the
whole point of the migration to static IDs. You can consider this
unimportant, but why do we have GLEP 81 then, in the first place?

> And until user.eclass is completely gone, all packages are migrated to
> GLEP 81 and all users have completely reinstalled their Gentoo systems
> (most packages used dynamic allocation until GLEP 81), you won't have
> "clean", collision free systems with same ID all over the places.

Right now, new systems will have their dynamic IDs allocated from 999
downwards, so it is very unlikely that they will collide with the ones
that are statically allocated. However, they most certainly will if we
allow allocation in the upper range.

Also, what about users calling "useradd -r" manually, for whatever
purpose? They'll get IDs counting from 999 downwards as well, even after
the transition will be complete.

Ulrich