On 12/15/19 5:31 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

Without more information, all I can say is that there's probably a
better way to do whatever these users are doing that doesn't involve
modifying a system user. But regardless, Michał's answer is the right
one if you decide that you do want to modify it.

Your observation is correct. This package I am working with "mythtv" has been around for years. Users customize it incorrectly and once working are reluctant to change it. They still want to upgrade to get features/bug fixes. I am guilty of improper use of the mythtv user myself. There is a lot of old documentation that uses it improperly.

I am reluctant to introduce unexpected changes to old systems. This update will force consideration that maybe the mythtv user is being misused; while manually restoring (or creating a custom overlay) after acct-user/mythtv is emerged on the system. Once installed acct-user/mythtv is not usually reinstalled. It should not need manual restoration often.