Hi all,

I noticed that dev-util/cmake depends on dev-libs/expat and that
libexpat upstream (where I'm involved) is in the process of
dropping GNU Autotools altogether in favor of CMake in the near future,
potentially the next release (without any known target release date).

CMake bundles a (previously outdated and vulnerable) copy of expat so
I'm not sure if re-activating that bundle — say with a new use flag
"system-expat" — would be a good thing to resort to for breaking the
cycle, with regard to security in particular.

Do you have any ideas how to avoid a bad circular dependency issue for
our users in the future?  Are you aware of similar problems and
solutions from the past?

Thanks and best

Sebastian