On 1/18/20 1:10 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> Should option (3) be viable, or do I go back to the drawing board?
>
> Chances are that /home is site specific, e.g. with a special backup
> policy, or shared between many hosts via NFS. So IMHO /home is off
> limits for the package manager.

We don't actually install anything there except the keepdir file, which
is why this used to work with user.eclass. If someone later logs in as
"amavis" and creates some configuration in $HOME, then that stuff is
subject to your backup/sharing policy just like any other user data.

I could always just use /home/amavis as $HOME and un-keepdir that
location. We don't really care if the directory exists, until/unless
someone logs in and starts adding configuration, so that's semantically
correct. No permissions problems and no QA warnings either.

But now users have to follow one more step (create /home/amavis) when
setting up amavisd-new. Is the QA check really assuring a quality user
experience here?