On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 6:38 PM Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> But now users have to follow one more step (create /home/amavis) when
> setting up amavisd-new. Is the QA check really assuring a quality user
> experience here?

Lots of daemons need a home directory for their users, and usually
they manage to get by in /var/lib.  It really seems like a bad
practice to start having packages creating stuff in /home.  Certainly
I don't want random daemons sticking stuff in /home, which I manage
differently from the OS-owned directories.  I'll just end up having to
manually create stuff where it belongs in /var/lib and then symlink
everything back from /home, and now I have distro cruft in /home and
non-distro cruft in /var/lib, and neither is ideal.

It seems like the straightforward solution is to stick everything in
/var/lib/amavis, and fix things so that everything has the right
permissions regardless of install order.

If /var/lib/amavis is getting installed root-owned then it should be
chowned when amavis is installed, especially for the first time.  That
seems sane.

Another option is to have /var/lib/amavis/home and /var/lib/amavis/work.

--
Rich