On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 06:07:06PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> As I've said, a human uses the "amavis" account.
I think this statement here needs a bit of expansion, and thus it more
clarity happens.

Your aforementioned human generally doesn't use the 'amavis' account in
the same way that they might use a normal account. They don't expect to
login to it with GNOME/SSH and run typical user applications
(Libreoffice, Nethack etc.).

It's a system account that CAN get configured by a human manually
becoming that user. Either by login or means of changing effective UID
(su, sudo, doas, ksu, pmrun, runas, ...).

For a more secure environment, I would expect amavis to never have a
password and thus not be subject to normal login flows.

Gentoo Infra manages amavis & spamd without logging in as a human:
configuration management is used to change settings & files.

From this, I posit that something OUTSIDE of /home is the most-correct
location. /srv or /var.

Upstream uses /var/amavis
Debian uses /var/lib/amavis

I'm sympathetic to past users who have /home/amavisd and need to
migrate it, but such is the nature of sysadmin life.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer