On 07/02/20 19:50, Matt Turner wrote:
>>> How about all the others as well?
>>> sys-firmware/iwl1000-ucode
>>> sys-firmware/iwl3160-7260-bt-ucode
>>> sys-firmware/iwl3160-ucode
>>> sys-firmware/iwl6005-ucode
>>> sys-firmware/iwl6030-ucode
>>> sys-firmware/iwl7260-ucode
>>> sys-firmware/iwl8000-ucode
>> I had asked the same question back in November, but an argument against
>> it was that sys-kernel/linux-firmware is quite a monster. In the default
>> configuration, its installation footprint is 515 MiB.
> Oh yeah. The thread where the person arguing for keeping them didn't
> know about USE=savedconfig :)

You still have to install the full 515MiB before you can apply savedconfig,
unless you already know the list of firmwares included, and create the file
in advance. For some systems (esp. storage constrained) that's not a very
good option ...