On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 2:39 PM Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 9:10 AM Mike Pagano <mpag...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> # Mike Pagano <mpag...@gentoo.org> (2020-02-07)
> >> # The standalone ebuild for this driver is made
> >> # unnecessary as it is included in the package:
> >> # sys-kernel/linux-firmware
> >> sys-firmware/iwl6050-ucode
>
> > How about all the others as well?
>
> > sys-firmware/iwl1000-ucode
> > sys-firmware/iwl3160-7260-bt-ucode
> > sys-firmware/iwl3160-ucode
> > sys-firmware/iwl6005-ucode
> > sys-firmware/iwl6030-ucode
> > sys-firmware/iwl7260-ucode
> > sys-firmware/iwl8000-ucode
>
> I had asked the same question back in November, but an argument against
> it was that sys-kernel/linux-firmware is quite a monster. In the default
> configuration, its installation footprint is 515 MiB.
>
> But yeah, either we should keep them all or remove them all.

It looks like several different people maintain the individual
iwlXXXX-ucode packages.

Removing them all would require some consensus among those maintainers.

Keeping them all means forcing maintainers to work on stuff they don't
care about, or will result in stuff getting dropped to
maintainer-needed.