On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 19:13:58 +0100
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> TL;DR: Unless arch teams decide to help us, the Python team will stop
> supporting non-x86 arches and start dropping non-x86 keywords from
> reverse dependencies.
>

> Python team is struggling with a large number of keywordreqs
> and stablereqs.  It is common for new versions of Python packages to
> bring new dependencies, and it is uncommon for arch teams to handle our
> requests in time.
>
> The situation is particularly bad on arm64 which seems to have initially
> stabilized a lot of packages but afterwards can't manage to stabilize
> new versions.  Even with the recent effort of NeddySeagoon, it is still
> common for me to open new stablereqs while the old ones are waiting for
> arm64.  Overall, arm64 ends up staying behind with dependencies as well
> which makes each new stablereq more and more effort.
>
> However, all non-x86 arches are bad.  Making keywordreqs takes
> tremendous effort, and keeping them up-to-date with frequent package
> releases is simply impossible.  It is quite frustrating when a keyword
> request is open for a month, then some arch tester points out that
> the package list is outdated, you spend even more effort updating it,
> then you wait again and the same situation repeats.
>
> In the end, we've reached the point where very high profile packages
> such as dev-python/virtualenv are missing almost all keywords.  To be
> honest, I don't want to spend another hour trying to update package
> list, so that *maybe* some arch team will finally consider helping us.
>
> For this reason, I propose that the Python team officially stops
> supporting non-x86 arches.  For obvious reasons we will have to continue
> keeping Portage and the most basic packages work but we will not put any
> special effort to restore lost keywords, and we will drop keywords from
> low-profile packages as their dependencies are not keyworded.
>
> I am thoroughly frustrated by this state of affairs, and I'm having
> a serious trouble motivating myself to do anything about it.  FWICS
> others have abandoned the ship earlier.  I will probably try to prepare
> some script to determine where we need to drop keywords, for a start.

I've never joined an arch team as I'm not really interested in stable.
I understand what you're saying about keyword requests but I didn't
realise they were also a big issue.

I'm not even keeping up with the work I'm supposed to be doing already
so I don't exactly want to sign up for more. However, I do have a
couple of (unstable) arm systems that are important to me so I need to
keep them running and up to date. Perhaps we could write a tool that
looks up newer versions of installed ebuilds that have dropped keywords
for a given arch and report which dependencies also need keywording. I
guess we don't have something like that?

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer