Am Donnerstag, 7. Mai 2020, 09:29:36 CEST schrieb Michał Górny:
> I'm going to start with the data and uses I can think of.  Please reply
> with other things you can think of.
>

> 1) list of selected packages (@world)
>
> We would use this to determine the popularity of individual packages,
> plus by scanning their dependencies we would be able to make combined
> statistics for direct usage + dependencies of other selected packages.
> This would allow us to judge which packages need more of our attention.
>
> For example, as we port Python packages to Python 3.8 the packages with
> more declared users would be ported first.

You may want to collect packages installed per sets, too.
I mainly do what Hans mentioned in his mail to this thread but with sets.
For example I have a KDE-PIM set that installs only my needed subset of
the KDE PIM suite. (I also use this as common workaround for yet missing
runtime dependencies / suggestions made by pkg_postinst.)

Retrieval of this packages would be straight forward: Look at world_sets
and collect all packages that are installed by the set.

> 2) USE flags on installed packages (disabled/default/enabled)
>
> This would allow us to determine which flags users are most likely to
> actually rely on.  This could determine tested flag combinations,
> defaults, and required level of support for individual flags.
>
> For example, if OCaml bindings on some package are broken and require
> a lot of work, I would find useful to know how likely it is that anyone
> is using it.  Or if a lot of people are enabling 'frobnicate' flag,
> I could consider employing USE defaults.

I'm not sure, if Portage is capable of this, but a distinction in USE
flags needed to fulfil some dependency of another package and USE flags
actively activated by the user could be useful.

Dependency use flags should be treated with a higher priority in my
opinion, since they enable the installation of another package (tree),
while use flags that enable a certain feature that is not used elsewhere
are more "nice to have".

Best
Gerion