On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 01:09 +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:25:00 +0200
> Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > That's why I said salted hash.
>
> Even a salted hash becomes a trivial joke when the input data you're
> hashing has a *total* entropy of only 32bits.

If anyone cares about the numbers, I've been able to crack my own IP
address (85.*) in 10 minutes using john with trivial IP address wordlist
generator and plain SHA-512 hash.  I suppose you could assume that
having salted hashes would mean up to 30 minutes per IP address but
that's still not much.  I suppose you could use Argon2 or some other
crazy hash but... where is this going, really?

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny