On Tue, 26 May 2020 20:24:56 -0700
Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> The TL;DR is that a crack team of infra-folks[0] have been putting
> together demos of CI services and things like gitlab / gitea / gerrit
> and so on.
>
> Some of these come in combined (e.g. gitlab offers repo hosting, code
> review / pull reqs, CI services, and deploy services.) Some of these
> are piecemeal (e.g. gerrit has code review, zuul has CI) and gitea
> offers repo-hosting but CI is separate (e.g. drone.)
>
> On the infra-side, I think we are pretty happy with repo-hosting
> (gitolite) and repo-serving (gitweb). We are missing a CI piece and a
> pull-request piece. Most of the users using PRs use either a gitlab
> or github mirror.
>
> I think the value of CI is pretty obvious to me (and I see tons of use
> cases in Infra.) We could easily build CI into our current repository
> solution (e.g. gitolite.) However gitolite doesn't really support PRs
> in a uniform way and so CI is mostly for submitted code; similar to
> the existing ::gentoo repo CI offered by mgorny.
>
> If we build a code review solution (like gitea / gerrit) would people
> use it? Would you use it if you couldn't merge (because the code
> review solution can't gpg sign your commits or merges) so a tool like
> the existing pram tool would be needed to merge?
>
> -A
>
> [0] Mostly arzano, if I'm honest. I am just the point-y haired
> manager in this effort.

There are several CI systems that could be used.  As for CI, my
experience has been with buildbot.  It would be fairly straightforward
to integrate with the current gitolite/gitweb hosting.
It is also extremely flexible in its capabilities, although can be
difficult to master.  It has a good web interface, but it can even be
run via it's API's using curses, python, bash,....   There is a
buildbot-travis plugin which is capable of running existing .travis file
configurations.  It also extends its capabilities to include custom
buildbot step definitions.  I have not packaged it yet for gentoo, but
it is on my todo list. One of buildbot's capabilities is the ability to
run tests/builds on multiple workers (different arches or whatever)
both in parallel or series.  It could be made to integrate with our
bugzilla using the python client (pybugs was it?).

But that still leaves a PR/code review option.