Hi,

On 22/06/2020 06.03, Philip Webb wrote:
[...]
> I don't want to use 'systemd', as I want to run a traditional UNIX version
> of Linux + KDE (or Fluxbox) for a simple single-user desktop system.

Then... don't use systemd? I officially give you my approval for that.
Read what you quoted in your email, elogind is standalone package.

The elogind does work normally in the configuration with OpenRC and startx.

> So i ask again : Why is running 'xorg-server' as root "heavily discouraged" ?
It's common sense to run software with the least privileges they
require, so if new attack vector is discovered, perhaps there will be no
escalation surface to make use of it.

-- Piotr.