On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 01:22:44PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 06:40:07PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
> > On 2020-08-08 20:51, William Hubbs wrote:
> > > What do people think?
> >
> > Like others already asked: What's the reason for this?
>
>  Like others have said on the thread, the reason for the switch away
>  from udev in the past was mostly fear driven instead of fact driven. As
>  already said, if the udev developers were going to make udev unusable
>  without systemd they would have by now.
>
> > What do you expect from this change?

> > Is there a problem when new Gentoo installations will use EUDEV by
> > default? Or is there a benefit if new installations would use sys-fs/udev?

Here is something else to consider.

Blueness and any of the other eudev maintainers are doing good work
for alternative c library support such as musl. In fact, the musl
profiles hard mask sys-fs/udev, so they are covered no matter what
happens as a result of this thread.

Eudev is supposed to be udev without systemd along with alternative c
library support, but it appears to be behind what eudev offers.

The following commit appears to be the last time eudev synced with udev:

https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/commit/2ab887ec67afd15eb9b0849467f1f9c036a2b6c8

There are roughly 100 commits in the udev master branch since the date of this
sync:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/udev

There are several new commits in libudev and udev rules since then as
well:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/libudev
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/rules.d

I would like to publically thank Leio for providing me with the
information above.

I asked the council for guidance and was told that they don't need to be
involved, so I guess the best thing to do now is call for testers.

It would be helpful if people migrate their systems manually from eudev to udev
and report issues.

I'm not a valid test case because I have always run udev.

Thanks,

William