Hi all,

The tl;dr is that I'm glad to announce pgo[0] - a command-line
interface for packages.gentoo.org and I'm looking for your feedback
here.

Some more information: Some time ago I announced the new packages.g.o
GraphQL API. Now, pgo is using this API to display information about
packages like versions, metadata, dependencies, QA reports, pull
requests, bugs and the changelog on the command line. It will also be
able to display information for maintainers, as a list of packages
they are maintaining, a list of outdated packages, or bugs related to
the packages they are maintaining. Further functionality might be
added over time.

We do already have a bunch of tools which do display package
information on the command line. Furthermore, these tools do have the
advantage that they work locally. However, the reason I still came up
with pgo is that pgo can now display information (such as bugs, pull
requests, qa-reports or information for maintainers) that other tools
cannot display and bundle these information in one central tool.
That's why I'm looking forward to your feedback here: Do you think
this is something you would be interested in? Do you have any features
you like to see included in this case?

pgo is packaged as app-portage/pgo (you might prefer the live version
as it might still change quickly currently) so that you can give it a
try. You might for instance try

  $ pgo xmona

to show the package information for x11-wm/xmonad. Or try

  $ pgo -s xmona

to search for packages. Or e.g.

 $ pgo -bp grub

to show all bugs and pull requests for sys-boot/grub. However, to be
clear: Currently, it's still in a kind of "Proof of concept" stage. So
don't expect it to be fully useful right now.

So please let me know if you think it's worth spending more time on
this. I'm looking forward to your feedback.

-M

[0] https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-portage/pgo