On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 8:39 AM Agostino Sarubbo <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On giovedì 22 aprile 2021 12:02:20 CEST Michał Górny wrote:
> > Well, I suppose scanning the dev branch would be preferable over
> > the master branch.  In reality, they are usually only a few hours apart
> > but it might be useful to know of new breakage in dev before it's merged
> > to master.
> >
> > It would be ideal if you could do a switch when master and dev are
> > in sync, and just copy the state from master.
>
> Hi,
>
> I think that your approach could be generally valid but for this use case I'm
> against because of the following:
>
> 1) The approach is valid in cases like our github PRs and the bot that
> approves the commit. In this case, who moves the commit between branches does
> not know if the scan has been done or not.
>
> 2) I don't see the reason to scan against something that we don't know if will
> be the same in master branch
>
> 3) We are not doing a similar approach for ::gentoo so I don't see why do this
> for GURU since, after all, it is an overlay
>
> 4) Packages in master are supposed to be tested at least from 2 different
> people (who made the commit in dev and who moves the commit to master) so it
> means less bugspam

Perhaps another approach could be to add a third branch, "staging".
Any reviewers could move the appropriate ebuilds to "staging" once all
the reviews and discussions are done but before moving to "master"

In fact, probably a github action could be set up to automatically
move to "master" after the CI stuff passes.