On Fri, 2022-02-11 at 21:19 +0200, Joonas Niilola wrote:
> On 11.2.2022 1.36, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As you may have noticed, I'm practically maintaining LLVM all by myself.
> > This is a really tedious, time consuming and ungrateful task, and I'm
> > pretty close to burnout.  I'd really appreciate some help.
> >
> > The problem with LLVM that it's a really huge, rapidly moving forward
> > (and breaking things) project.  It needs frequent testing as regressions
> > happen frequently, and we have a good chance of having somebody else fix
> > it if we report them early.  At the same time, testing takes a lot of
> > time.  While ccache is pretty much a must, it doesn't help much long
> > term as the code is changing frequently and invalidating the cache.
> >
> > On top of this, there's almost-overlapping release process and Gentoo
> > slotting that's working so-so at best.  After I've pushed LLVM 13.0.1
> > final, I've had to immediately start testing 14.x and barely managed to
> > get some fixes in before rc1.  Now 14.0.0 is expected soon,
> > simultaneously major changes are happening on the main branch
> > (i.e. 15.x) that also need testing and adjusting the ebuilds to.
>
> Would it help at all to not always support different _rc's and .9999s?
> Or would that just bite "us" (as in Gentoo) back with a delay?

RCs are our chance to get upstream fixes into the release.  If we skip
them, it means we'll end up having to backport everything ourselves.
It's a loss for us, and it's a loss for other people using LLVM.

Plus, filing bugs as "release blockers" has a certain psychological
effect.

> > 6. Work on setting up and configuring a buildbot for Gentoo LLVM builds.
> > This is some effort and I don't have the time to learn how to do that.
> > You'll probably need to set up a local instance and figure out how to
> > set our builds before submitting anything upstream; in my experience
> > they aren't very responsive to buildbot changes, so ideally we need to
> > flesh out any problems early.
>
> GSOC-worthy project?

Not sure.  To rephrase what was once said to me, this is summer of
*code*, not infra work.

> > Yes, that's a lot of work.  I can't do it all myself, I'm already doing
> > too much and this is having negative impact on my health.  I really need
> > help with this.
> >

> I wonder if llvm and toolchain projects should join - not that there's
> probably anyone in toolchain interested/capable of doing llvm/clang
> currently. But they'd be the next with knowledge for at least simplest
> version bumps if you lay back a bit. Remember this is just a hobby -
> even though your work is very much appreciated, not worth of wearing
> yourself out over.

I don't think this will help in any way -- just like having more people
on the project roster doesn't help.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny