On 3/9/2022 16:00, Matt Turner wrote:
> I'd like to deprecate and ultimately remove repoman. I believe that
> dev-util/pkgcheck and pkgcommit (from app-portage/mgorny-dev-scripts)
> are far superior replacements, and it makes sense to have people using
> the same tool and seeing the same warnings as in the CI.
>
> Are there any useful checks or behaviors of repoman that are missing
> from pkgcheck and pkgcommit?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

repoman has been //the// goto tool for checking in a change since before I
was a developer in 2003.  It does everything we need, in one simple tool.
Your proposal looks to replace repoman's functionality (and snark) with two
or more packages, including tools from a package named after a fellow developer.

Additionally, "I believe that <foo> are far superior replacements" is an
entirely subjective opinion and, frankly, completely invalid as
justification to replace a tool that has worked fine for the last 20+ years.
 What is so fundamentally broken about repoman that cannot be fixed such
that it needs total replacement by multiple independent tools?  Please
document. the pros and cons here so that we can all make an informed decision.

I'm not opposed to making our tools better, but I think before anything can
replace the RepoMan, several more boxes need to be ticked:

- functionality from multiple tools should be packaged into a single tool.
  * caveat: at least provide a wrapper that, using args, can invoke the
    individual tools if needed.

- app-portage/mgorny-dev-scripts needs a new name.  It's fine if it's
intended to only be a collection of useful scripts for individual developers
on an as-needed basis, but if it's to be the Official Tool(TM), then it
needs to have a proper name.  If not all of the scripts contained within it
are applicable to the sole function of checking a change into the tree, then
only the scripts that deal with change validation and committing should be
broken out into a separate package, and ostensibly combined with any other
tools/scripts into a single package, and preferably a single tool, to get
the job done.

- all of our developer documentation needs to be updated to reference the
new tool and the new way of doing things, as well as a warning not to use
repoman any further after a set date.  Additionally, a news item is probably
advisable so that developers and proxy maintainers alike can get the message.

- we need the snark.  Gentoo is all about personality, and RepoMan has been
scouring our neighborhoods for two decades and change, and while some may
think this is utterly frivolous, I will actually miss seeing those messages
on the console every time I commit a change.  They give the RepoMan
personality and a soul, and thus, contribute to the uniqueness that is Gentoo.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic