On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:25:19 -0800
Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 9:14 AM Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se> wrote:
> >
> > Matt Turner wrote:
> > > repoman is inferior to other tooling mentioned. The other tooling
> > > is actually run in CI.
> >
> > The problem seems to be that CI is running something other than
> > developers run, not the other way around.
> >

> > > Developers should get the same warnings locally as in CI.
> >
> > I agree. And developers and their tools should not have to bend to
> > whatever CI does, I think the other way around makes more sense.
> >

> > CI doesn't use repoman because of performance issues.
>
> I think the problem is that making committers use the CI tool is
> technically a fairly straightforward change; while everything you
> discuss further in the thread is not; because it implies people will
> work on improving tools that have shown little or no progress on
> improving in the 15 years I've been in Gentoo.

Somewhat incorrect here.  I did the majority of the re-write to make
the code maintainable, extensible not that long ago.  It even has the
ability to be repository configurable and include the ability for
custom repository plugin checks to be added and run.   The CI system was
being developed at the same time using pkgcheck.

See my other reply to WilliamH for more detail about that and
fundamental speed differences.

> > What if pkgcore evolves to provide a portage-compatible API?
>
> No API is planned and no one is working on it.

I and a few others did some work to ensure pkgcore had some usable
api's from early in it's development.  But pkgcore is so different from
portage code, it was difficult for early to mediocre python devs to
wrap their head around.   There was even work to make porthole be able
to use pkgcore as it's backend package manager, but it was never fully
utilized due to more work needed on pkgcore for some functionality.

> > Then CI could use repoman without performance problems, and
> > developers would also enjoy improved performance, without spending
> > time on replacing tooling which already works for them.

No, pkgcore and it's QA tool pkgcheck are designed to work together.
Repoman is designed to work with portage base code.   Checks can be
designed to work on either, but not both.   The missing checks that
the CI does can be added to repoman, but the primary dev(s) creating
them on the CI don't recreate them for repoman.  They want to work on
pkgcheck.

Repoman code will NEVER be as fast as pkgcheck due to the legacy
portage code structure it relies on.   Pkgcore was a re-design from the
ground up to to improve upon the shortcomings of the original portage
structure. This resulted in vast speed improvements and reduction in
lines of code to do the same functionality.   Portage (due to Zac) has
made vast improvements in structure, but still requires a ton more
changes to get to where it should be.