On Mon, 2022-06-13 at 11:30 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> On 13/06/2022 10.29, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Mon, 2022-06-13 at 09:44 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> > > where some voices where in agreement that EGO_SUM has its raison d'être,
> > > while there where no arguments in favor of eventually removing EGO_SUM,
> > > I hereby propose to undeprecate EGO_SUM.
> > >
> > > 1:
> > > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/1a64a8e7694c3ee11cd48a58a95f2faa
> > >

> > "We've been rehashing the discussion until all opposition got tired
> > and stopped replying, then we claim everyone agrees".
>
> I understand this comment so that there was already a discussion about
> deprecating and removing EGO_SUM. I usually try to follow what's going
> on Gentoo and I remember the discussion about introducing dependency
> tarballs. But I apparently have missed the part where EGO_SUM was slated
> for removal. And it appears I am not the only one, at least Ionen also
> wrote "Missed bits and pieces but was never quite sure why this went
> toward full deprecation, just discouraged may have been fair enough, …".
>
> In any case, I am sorry for bringing this discussion up again. But since
> I started rehashing this, no arguments why EGO_SUM should be removed
> have been provided. And so far, I failed to find the old discussions
> where I'd hope to find some rationale behind the deprecation of EGO_SUM. :/

I disagree.  Robin has made a pretty complete summary in his mail, with
numbers that prove how bad EGO_SUM is/was [1].  While he may have
disagreed with dependency tarballs, he brought pretty clear arguments
how EGO_SUM is even worse.  Multiplied by all the Gentoo systems that
won't ever install 95% of Go packages, yet all have to carry their
overhead.

[1]
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/8e2a4002bfc6258d65dcf725db347cb9

--