Sam James wrote:
> Oskari Pirhonen <xxc3ncore...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]

>>> I'm pretty good at reading the news items.  I seem to recall that you
>>> see one only if it affects you, you have a package installed or
>>> something.  So, if it shows up, it is best to take notice.  That said, I
>>> don't recall seeing the news item either.  I can't imagine me missing it
>>> but I also can't imagine me not taking action either. After all, (eu)dev
>>> is a important package.
>>>
>>> One thing is for sure, the name is rather obvious.  The first word in
>>> the title is eudev.  I have yet to figure out how I missed it.  Given
>>> the number of people who did, could there have been a glitch and it
>>> didn't show for some weird reason?  Has someone who understands the code
>>> checked to see if there was some typo that made it not show for most
>>> users?
>>>
>>> I do think this is worth looking into.  It just seems odd.
>>>
>> It's not impossible for a news item to have bugs.
>>
>> Somewhat recently, when the hardened toolchain changes were being made,
>> a news item was sent out recommending an `-e @world`. I knew it was
>> coming because I saw the drafts of the news item here (as well as
>> discussion on irc), so I was surprised when I didn't see it on my
>> laptop on the day of. But I did see it on my work machine.
>>
>> We managed to track it down to my work machine using the hardened
>> profile whereas my laptop is using the hardened/selinux profile, and
>> Portage didn't quite catch that as being relevant for both.
> FTR: since then, the Portage logic got fixed but I also used it as
> impetus to implement a bunch of tests for the news item logic which
> would've caught this and a few other problems.
>
> But definitely possible this happened here.
>
>> - Oskari
>>
>> [[End of PGP Signed Part]]

Maybe this won't happen again since some changes have been made.  Could
be there was a glitch at that time.  I also monitor -dev so that I can
have a heads up for future changes.  That said, I usually wait until I
see the news item to actually take action.  Sometimes there may need to
be changes in the tree before taking action.  When the news item shows
up, those changes are usually made.  It's time to act on it.

Thanks for the info.

Dale

:-)  :-)