On 2023-09-21 Thu 15:22, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2023, Arthur Zamarin wrote:
Should it be a GLEP, I don't think so? But I'm unsure about it. We do
need to document it (for example header of that exact file).

It shouldn't be too difficult to wrap this up as a GLEP.

To me standardizing a format in Gentoo (outside of PMS-related
functionality) requires a GLEP or at the very least some semi-formal
documentation outside the file in question in a place like the
devmanual. Consider it due diligence of the process that allows people
writing code to target the format without having to chase details down
into code bases or mailing list threads.

OTOH, we don't have a GLEP for eclassdoc either.

This is a poor example since it's partly the reason why an awk script
with issues relating to extensibility and maintainability is still used
to generate eclass manpages.

I mainly let it slide when writing pkgcore/pkgcheck parsing
functionality because the devmanual [0] was a passable resource at the
time.

Tim

[0]: https://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-writing/#documenting-eclasses