I am trying to build a mini desktop on a uclibc-based system. At
first, I tried to get XFCE running but got into serious GTK+ issues, I
broke ncurses during an update and had to start over. With this in
mind, I separated the plan into three phases, get the smallest desktop
with a basic set of applications, add applications and build other
desktop environments (neither GNOME nor KDE, as they are very big).

Basic applications:
    - window manager: IceWM, patched to removed dependency on iconv
(bug #101032)
    - X11 terminal: patched rxvt and rxvt-uncode (bug #104043)
    - text editor: nedit
    - PDF reader: patched xpdf (dependency reduction, TrueType
auto-hinting, experimental shared library reducing dramatically the
binary size (tbz2 went from 2594Kb to 650Kb))
    - IRC client: nebula and BitchX (~x86, no RPATHS please)
    - file manager: patched xplore (bug #106132)
    - web browser
    - music player

The web browser issue is pretty interesting. Dillo heavily depends on
the system iconv, something a Gentoo stable uclibc 0.9.27 does not
provide. On the other hand, Gecko has its own iconv code but almost
all Mozilla-based applications depend on GTK+. I would like to have
minimo.

As for the music player, I cannot use neither beep-media-player nor
xmms, as they depend  on GTK+. GTK+ 1.2 "hello world" programs I found
in the GTK+ tutorial simply segfault. Cursed GNU's Not Unix Image
Manipulation Program Tool Kit Plus.

Do you have alternative program suggestions? How can I fix GTK?

-- 
[email protected] mailing list

Reply via email to